Thursday, May 15, 2014

Sicky

That's right...the girl has the beginnings of croup. Not sure what exactly that means, except that it makes mommy miserable seeing her so miserable. Seriously...the sound of these coughs is the worst thing I think I have ever experienced. There is no way I can comfort her, make it feel better, or help her in any way.

It started two nights ago. She was just waking up a TON in the night coughing. Spencer was up with her wide awake from 12-1:00 am and I was up with her from 1:30-2 am. Yesterday she was still coughing but mostly she was fine. Well, around 6 she fell asleep and just woke up feeling really warm. I was at Grandma's house and she didn't think she felt warm, but I just felt like she was burning up. Sure enough, a temp of 102. GREAT! She was on medicine and had a cold bath (which she loved!), some water, and lots of medicine. She went to bed pretty well and didn't have a fever at that point. She woke up a few times in the night but it wasn't anything serious, she fell right back asleep. She was just coughing so much. Today it just got progressively worse and worse. She had a fever all day and by about 3:30 she was coughing so bad that she was gagging, not breathing well, coughing like a dog, and just scaring me quite honestly. I had decided I was going to take her to the doctor if she still had a fever in the morning, but at that point I decided that it was time to take her...now. Her ped. didn't have any available appointments so we were sent to a pediatric urgent care. They told me that she could hear it in her throat when she coughed and that she definitely had a fever. They gave her a steroid shot and told me to just watch her and make sure that she is still breathing ok, that her coloring stays good, and that she doesn't become dehydrated. She got SO much better after that shot. She still coughed a lot, but she didn't go into full on attacks every time and she barely cried. She went right to sleep and didn't feel like she had a fever!! HOORAY FOR IMPROVEMENT!

It's so hard watching your baby be sick. It just broke my heart and I was holding back tears for the entire time all of this was happening. She kept turning to me and wanting me to hold her and I felt like she was begging me to make it go away and I couldn't. That was the worst feeling. I know that lots of kids get croup and that they are fine. There are so many worse things that could happen, but I'm just truly grateful that this is the worst we have had to deal with so far. We really are blessed. I hope she wakes up feeling better. I love her to death, it just tears me apart seeing her like this. Thank goodness for modern medicine.

1 comment:

  1. Sick babies are THE WORST! Eli has been sick too, and even though it's not as bad as Brynlee it's still so sad. Hopefully they both get over it soon! :(

    ReplyDelete