Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Break: Vacation 1

This Spring break is JAM packed with adventures. We just got back from California and are leaving for Indiana tonight! HOLY MOLY!

Friday afternoon Spencer, Grandma, Whitley, and I left for San Elijo State Beach. It was pouring rain the whole day before we left and from what we heard from mom, it didn't stop the whole way to the beach. We loaded up Grandma's teeny tiny prius with bags, tents, coolers, sleeping bags, camping chairs, and everything else you could think of fitting in there and headed out around 3:00. We only had to stop twice on the way there (I was seriously shocked because I drank a ton and normally have to pee about every 2 hours!) and one time was just for gas. We got to the San Diego area and drove through snow. That's right, I said SNOW. It was quite freaky! Luckily my wonderful hubby got us there safe and sound. When we got there, it was raining. It was cold. It was dark. And I was really tired. Let's just say, I had a little bit of a break down while setting up the tent and ended up sitting in the car while Dad, Nick, and Spencer set up the tent. THEN to top it off, we couldn't find the cap to our air mattress. Dad let us use one that he brought and we had to pump it up every 2 hours! Oy. We finally just laid down to go to sleep and it started raining POURING. It was so loud on our tent. We also didn't stake down our tent because we were going to move it the next morning so when the wind picked up, our tent was jumping and flinging here and there and it was so cold! The condensation on the inside of the tent made for a wonderful awakening every time the tent was thrown down. At about 12:00 we decided it was just too much and we couldn't sleep so....we got all of our stuff and went into Grandma's car. There we slept in the front seats for the night.

Saturday morning it was still really cold and cloudy and I wanted to go home. This is NOT the beach vacation I was expecting or wanted. I wanted to be warm, on the beach, in my swimsuit; not huddled in my coat wanting nothing more than to just sit in the car and play Boggle. Since it was still so cold, we decided to go to San Diego for the day. We went to Seaport Village and ate the delicious Chicago style pizza that we always get and walked around, enjoying the sun. By the time we got back to camp, the sun had come out, all of the clouds were gone, so we packed up the tent (oh! we found the cap to our mattress so we got that all set up, and we got in our suits and went to the beach! It was such a nice change. That day Spencer went out in the water to play with the boys. About 10 minutes in he somehow stubbed his toe on something in the water and came in for the day. We got some hydrogen peroxide from the camp store and cleaned him up. It hurt him the entire rest of the trip. Poor kid, he never got to go back out in the water because he didn't want anything to get in the cut and make it infected. That night, Spencer was up the whole night in so much pain from his toe. Finally about midnight, I found some Tylenol in my bag and gave him 3. He was finally able to sleep.

Sunday was a good day. My family got up an went to a ward right near the beach for church. We stayed back and just relaxed for the day. When they got back we went to the Mormon Battalion museum and walked around the temple. It was really laid back and fun. By the time we got back, it was nice to just sit and chill. Spencer and I took a nap and then he had to get up and do his homework that was due that night for his dumb physics class (that's a story for another time). We slept awesome that night. Like seriously awesome. All night long.

Monday we packed up first thing, and spent the day on the beach. It was so nice. Spencer and I walked along the beach, picked up seashells, and got to spend a little bit more just us time than we had the rest of the trip. We left about 2:00 and went to lunch at some hole in the wall Mexican restaurant called Rudy's. It was actually really yummy! Spencer was in heaven though...he was so happy! We headed home and got back in pretty good time. We slept awesome that night in our own bed! I literally slept for 12 hours. I missed my bed so much...I like fantasized about it the whole trip. We have been home for about 2 days and we leave tonight for Indiana. Our flight leaves at midnight and we will be gone until Sunday night visiting all of Spencer's friends and people he knew on his mission. We are very excited to be going with Spencer's family and to spend some time with them...even though the high will be 50* on the warmest day we are there and it is supposed to snow and rain the whole time. Golly, I just can't get away from this darn cold! It makes me glad I live where I do.

I didn't take many pictures on this trip because I didn't want my camera out in the rain. Took a couple kissing pictures at the temple but nobody wants to see that! :)

1 comment: