Saturday, April 13, 2013

Our Date to the Zoo

Call me crazy, call me immature, but I SERIOUSLY love going to the zoo. It is one of my favorite things to do! I have been there so many times and it is always the same animals but I think it is so much fun. In the past few weeks I have really wanted to be outside a lot. I don't feel like sitting on my butt and doing nothing. I have been trying to find someone to go the zoo with me and nobody ever has the time or wants to. Today Spencer and I had nothing planned. We were going to just spend the day together. I made a joke and said, "Let's go to the zoo!" A few minutes later, Spencer says to me, "Ok let's go to the zoo". I said, "You don't want to go to the zoo...." to which he replies, "Yeah, I just looked it up online, let's go!" So we got ready and we went to the zoo!! Oh man, I was so happy all morning while we were getting ready and stuff.....I just kept saying over and over, "WE'RE GOING TO THE ZOO!! WE'RE GOING TO THE ZOO!!" haha

We didn't get to the zoo until about 1:00 in the afternoon which gave us about 4 hours until it closed. I thought that wasn't that much time since every time I have gone with little kids, that time gives you about half of the zoo. Well we got to see EVERYTHING! It was awesome! We could sit down whenever we wanted, we weren't worried about kids needing naps or being grouchy, we could keep walking all we wanted and it was so much fun! I'm glad we got to go together once before we have the baby.

When we were getting to the zoo, we see a sign that says 'ZOO PARKING IS FULL: FREE PARKING AT THE MUNI'. Well. That free parking was almost half a mile away from the zoo. We went over and found a spot and then we decided... 'the parking lot can't be full ALL DAY, let's just go check'. We got to the zoo parking lot and we found a spot less than 10 spaces from the front in the 5th row from the front gate. SCORE! I was so happy. I knew that after a full day of walking at the zoo that I would not want to walk another half mile to the car.

We went and saw all the animals, held hands, and seriously just had the funnest time! We also got to do some things that we had never been able to do before. When either of us has ever gone to the zoo before, there have been lots of other kids with us and stuff so we never got to do all of the extra cool stuff there is to do. Spencer and I decided to feed the giraffes! That was seriously so cool!!! They have the longest tongues and the one that we fed was 15 feet tall and not even full grown yet. We got to take pictures with them and ask lots of questions.

Fun fact: did you know that when a giraffe is born it is 6 ft tall and weighs 150 lbs?? Can you imagine lugging that thing around?? HOLY GUACAMOLE!! Yeah. It was a really really fun thing neither one of us had ever been able to do. We also got to pet stingrays. I had actually done this before but Spencer never had. He loved it! He even got splashed! Apparently even sting rays have a limit for how long they like to be touched!

 Spencer tested that limit...ha. It was a really really fun day and I'm so glad that I got to spend it with my best friend in the whole entire world.

Here are some of the pictures we took. I know it's just animals, but I was pretty proud of how cool of shots I got with barely being able to see what my camera was doing because it was so bright outside!



Spencer found his "bro" or "homie"....he's a little odd.





Spencer said there was a bird behind me so he wanted to get it in the picture too...I don't see a bird...



We loved going in the monkey village!! Spencer had never been in there before! There was a monkey who climbed on a rope right above us, stopped RIGHT over my head...and sneezed on me! Funny monkey!

At one of our breaks. He was making funny faces but then people walked up so he decided to pretend to be normal ;)


This is the giraffe we fed. Her name is Zuri and she is the tallest one at the zoo


Ok. These birds are seriously the funniest birds I have ever seen in my entire life. They just  sit there and groom themselves the entire day!!! They also twist their necks up into an almost knot and then just leave their head back on their back! And you know how most flamingos stand on one leg and tuck the other leg up underneath them? Well THESE ones only tuck half of their leg up under them and the rest of it hangs down right from their butt. Yeah. I was so amused. They were probably my favorite part of the zoo besides the giraffes. We spent at least 20 minutes there just staring at them and laughing :)
Spencer doing the flamingo pose: head on back, foot coming out of butt.




These were the scariest creatures we saw today. They just kept circling their little area, coming really close up to the fence, and just being downright frightening. I would NEVER want to see one of these out of captivity....

Spencer and I came out of this day without so much as a scratch! Not even a sunburn! That's right people...we sunscreened! OH! And we bought our sweet baby girl her first souvenir!

1 comment: